Discover one of the world’s oldest foods
1 hour 30 minutes
This Tour takes around 1.5 hours and covers the history, folklore and stories around Chestnuts, the cultivation, harvesting, processing and milling of chestnuts, the reasons behind why we use regenerative agriculture, the history of the farm and how and how we use animals in our regenerative farming practices. The tour ends up in our farm shop to show the end added value products that we make on the farm from the chestnuts.
The word “Brae” is a Scottish word that means hillside. Although the meeting area, processing area for the sweet chestnuts, shop and long table and chairs are on flat land, the gardens and sweet chestnut orchard are on sloping hillsides and some less-able visitors may wish to stay in the main packing shed area.
The Chestnut Experience Tour includes:
- A guided tour of the farm’s unique garden that comprises David Austin roses, a number of rare trees and a number of deciduous trees that make the garden glow with colour in Autumn.
- A guided tour of our Certified Organic farm and a meet and greet with the farm animals.
- Tour of the 1,000 sweet chestnut tree orchard.
- Tasting of added value chestnut products.
- Coffee / tea and chestnut biscuit (fresh herbal tea picked from the farms organic garden can be arranged for those wishing to try this lovely tea).
- Visit to our farm shop and an opportunity to purchase goods.