1.5 kg -1.8 kg pork belly skin on and scored. (Purchase here)
3 teaspoons fennel seeds, toasted and crushed.
2 tsps sea salt flakes
1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
200 ml orange juice
3 tbsp brown sugar
4 apples, cored and quartered
10 , whole shallots, peeled
2 cinnamon sticks
4 star anise
1.Pat dry skin to remove excess moisture and rub fennel seeds and salt over scored skin.
1. In a jug mix together, vinegar, juice and sugar , set aside.
2. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees fan forced .
3. Place pork on a lined tray and place on shelf 2, and cook for 65 minutes, until skin
has started to blister and become crisp: reduce temperature to 185 degrees and cook
for a further 30 minutes.
4. Remove pork from the oven , lightly cover with foil, to retain heat.
5. Drain excess fat from the roasting dish.
6. Place apples, shallots and spices into a roasting dish. Add vinegar, juice mix to the
7. Place into the oven and cook for a further 20 minutes , or until shallots are cooked.
8. Place pork belly onto a board, skin side down, cut into nice, thick slices.
9. Arrange on serving platter with apples, shallots and spices…
If possible, salting the pork rind and leaving it uncovered in the fridge, overnight will ensure a
nice dry skin which will help in achieving super crispy pork crackle.
Delicious red grapes could be added to the final cooking stage, to add extra colour and
Recipe and photo Credits:
Hart & Co.’s Appliance Educator, Margaret Roberts