This 30-minute chorizo breakfast burrito recipe is the perfect way to start the day with a BANG. It features chorizo, eggs, cheese, potatoes, and avocado, all wrapped up in a flour tortilla – making it a delicious and satisfying meal that you can enjoy anytime!
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
Author: Ben Rayl
- 8 ounces Chestnut Brae Smoked Chorizo (purchase here)
- 2 tablespoons Unsalted butter divided
- 8 Eggs whisked
- 1 teaspoon Salt divided
- ½ teaspoon Black pepper divided
- ½ cup Cheddar cheese shredded
- ½ cup Havarti cheese shredded
- 10 ounces Potatoes the kind for hashbrowns – shredded
- Cilantro chopped – for garnish
- 4 Flour tortillas Burrito-sized
- Remove the skins from the chorizo.
- If you’re not using pre-shredded potatoes, peel and dice 1 large (roughly 10 ounces) potato into small cubes.
- Finely chop the cilantro.
- Slice the avocado.
- Whisk the eggs in a bowl.
- Set a skillet or frying pan over medium heat and cook the chorizo for 10 minutes, breaking it up as it cooks. Remove the cooked chorizo from the skillet (leaving the fat in the skillet) to a plate lined with paper towel to remove any excess fat from the meat.
- Add 1 tablespoon of butter or olive oil to the same skillet and incorporate this with the chorizo fat. Pour the whisked eggs into the hot skillet with 1 teaspoon of kosher salt and pepper mix and cook the eggs for around 8 to 10 minutes, stirring frequently, until they are scrambled and soft.
- Sprinkle the shredded Pepper jack and cheddar cheese into the scrambled eggs until the cheese melts, then transfer them to a bowl.
- Add another tablespoon of butter or olive oil to the same skillet and cook the shredded potatoes with a teaspoon of kosher salt and pepper for 10 minutes until golden brown and crispy. Transfer the cooked potatoes to a bowl.
- Place the tortilla wraps on a plate and microwave them for 30 seconds to soften.
- To assemble the burritos, evenly divide the cooked chorizo, cheesy scrambled eggs, and cooked potatoes across the middle of the warm tortillas, then top with the sliced avocado.
- Using both hands, fold the edges of the warm tortilla in and roll the bottom of the tortilla over the filling and tuck the tortilla under it, rolling the tortilla to complete the burrito.
- Repeat this with every chorizo burrito, then clean the skillet and set it at medium-high heat. Once hot, place the burritos seam side down and cook for 2 minutes until nicely browned, then flip them over, cooking for another minute.
- Transfer the cooked chorizo breakfast burritos to a chopping board, wrap each burrito in aluminum foil, and cut them in half.
- Place them on a serving platter and garnish with chopped cilantro.
- Serve with guacamole, salsa, or sour cream.
For an extra crispy finish, you could also brush the top of the rolled burrito with some melted butter or oil before cooking it.
Wrapping the burrito in foil
To keep the burrito together and warm, it is best to wrap them in foil before serving. This also prevents any ingredients or liquid from seeping out onto your hands or clothes.
Recipe Credits: Comfortable Food –Chorizo Breakfast Burrito