- 9-10 chillies finely chopped (leave seeds in if you like it hot, remove if you do not)
- 1 tblsp. fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp. ground coriander seeds
- 1 tsp. fresh lemongrass, finely chopped
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. ground cloves
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- Six large cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- Five cardamom pods
- 1 tblsp Malaysian shrimp paste (leave out if your allergic like me and add a tiny bit of mashed anchovies)
- Five bay leaves
- 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 2 tins, 400g, Coconut Milk
- 1.5kg free range chicken drumsticks
- 400 gm peeled chestnuts (purchase here)
- Steamed rice for four.
- In saucepan, gently brown garlic and onion in oil & set aside.
- Process all herbs & spices then place in the pan and stir until they are lightly browned.
- Add more oil in the pan and fry off the herbs and spices mixture for a couple of minutes.
- Add your chicken and brown. Add coconut milk and cook covered for 10 minutes over a medium heat so it is simmering just below the boil.
- Add the chestnuts and cook the same way for 20 -30 minutes more.
- Serve with steamed rice