This classic German potato salad is the ultimate side dish for barbecues, celebrations and even on Christmas Day. A classic potato salad will always go down a treat for guests, plus it serves well with a variety of different meats.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
- 1kg baby chat potatoes
- 2 rashes short rib bacon, cut into short matchsticks (purchase here)
- ¼ cup mint leaves
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, sliced
- Place the potatoes in a large saucepan of cold salted water.
- Bring to the boil and cook for 10–12 minutes, or until tender.
- Drain and set aside to cool slightly.
- Cut in half and place in a large bowl.
Quick pickled onion
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar
- 1 red onion thinly sliced, into rounds
- While the potato is cooking, place the vinegar and sugar in a small bowl and whisk to dissolve the sugar.
- Add the onion and set aside for 5 minutes.
- ½ cup (120g) sour cream
- ¼ cup (75g) mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons seeded mustard
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- To make the dressing, place sour cream, mayonnaise, mustard, chives, salt and pepper.
- Drain onion pickling liquid into the dressing and reserve the onions.
- Whisk dressing to combine.
- Add most of the dressing to potatoes, and toss to combine. P
- lace potatoes on a platter with the pickled onion.
- Heat a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Cook bacon for 4-5 minutes or until golden and crisp. Drain. Sprinkle over the salad.
- Top salad with eggs and drizzle with the remaining dressing. Serve scattered with mint.
Tips & Hints
- Serve potato salad with roast or barbecued meats.
- For a vegetarian version, omit the bacon
Recipe Credits: Australian Eggs